Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is inviting all applicants to apply for the ongoing Access Campaign Advocacy Graduate / Internship Programme 2021 / 2022.
MSF South Africa is looking for an Access Campaign Advocacy Intern with good planning and administrative skills, high flexibility and ability to work under pressure with competing priorities and deliver results. The candidate must have a [passion for humanitarian work and development. The intern will be assisting the Access Campaign Advocacy Officer with administrative duties as well as research in the area of intellectual property and other access-related issues, collecting and compiling of strategic information and assisting with the organising of events, campaigns and advocacy-related work.
- Assist Access Campaign Officer with necessary research, writing and campaign related work with the Fix the Patent Laws Coalition
- Assist Access Campaign Coordinator in developing an analysis and strategy for access work, particularly focused on DR-TB, Covid-19 and TRIPS related barriers
- Assist Access Campaign Coordinator in day-to-day access to treatment related work, including but not limited to price research, medicine registration research, R&D related work and others.
- Other research and advocacy tasks as needed.
- Create and periodically maintain a stakeholder database (comprising of key stakeholders such as civil society, government officials, MSF staff etc.)
Conferences, meetings and advocacy events
- Assist with organising meetings, conferences and workshops and other key advocacy related events. Specifically, work with and support the MSF SA Events Coordinator with logistics and other info needed
- Manage Conference Call, Meetings, and Workshop notes and minutes
- Assist with the development of advocacy related materials, liaison with designers and printers
- Coordinate the printing and shipping of advocacy related materials, reports etc to Field Teams, HQ and other key contacts
- Create and maintain a good up to date electronic filing system of key documents that can be shared and accessed by Field Advocacy Teams
- Conduct regular media monitoring of print, online and broadcast outlets through online content monitoring service (News clip), newspaper subscriptions and online media alerts (e.g. Google Alerts) of DR-TB related developments
- Minimum University graduate or post graduate student.
- Preferably studying/studied Public Health, Development Studies, International Relations or Political Science, Law, or with demonstrable interest in working in the Health Policy Analysis and Advocacy field.
- Knowledge of local and regional treatment access barriers like IP, pricing, shortages, and other systemic issues
- Interest in national and global health policy and organisations particularly related to HIV and/or Access to Treatment issues.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point essential
- Professional telephone manner, tactful and excellent networking and negotiation skills.
- Creative and highly flexible approach to work, and ability to work within a team, multi task and good stress management skills and ability to deal with high workload at specific times.
- Creative social media skills
Benefits to the intern:
- Experience of working within a dynamic Operational Support Unit within an international humanitarian organisation.
- Will be supported to develop networking, policy analysis, research advocacy and lobbying skills in a niche area.
- Will gain excellent exposure, and understanding of Global, national Health Actors as well as Civil Society organisations
- Will gain good understanding of Access to Treatment issues worldwide and throughout the region – understanding the barriers, lobbying, policy and campaigning both locally and internationally
- Will be able to develop organisational and planning skills as well as abilities to prioritise and work under pressure.
Remuneration and Resources:
- Resources needed such as laptop, working space, internet, stationery and other resources will be made available
- The intern will be contracted as an intern and will receive a stipend.
Internship Application Closing Date : 22 September 2021
Internship Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng