Media Internships in South Africa
Media Internships in South Africa; The world of media has so much excitement with various learning experiences to offer. Candidates pursuing this line of career options will never have a dull moment in life. Media fields include radio, TV, internet and print forms such as magazines and newspapers. They range from entertainment, education, politics, environment, animals, world matters and current affairs, to name but a few.
This industry calls to extroverts, with great talent, communication skills, and an adventurous spirit. Technological advancements have revolutionized the industry quite a bit. There are many changes still on the rise, and interns have the opportunity to grow with this industry.
Media Internships Available
Media internships include all four basic means of media. This is Radio, Television, Electronic, and Print. Additionally, the companies that offer internships within these areas are also many, Some of them are:
Fields candidates may want to consider:
- Public relations officer
- Information officer
- Media planner
- Program researcher
- Market researcher
- Program broadcaster
- Multimedia specialist
- Producer – Video / Television / Film
- Runner – Video / Radio / Film
- Magazine journalist
- Broadcast journalist
- Advertising accounts specialist
- Digital marketing
- Graphic design
- Copy writer
- Computer information systems
- Social media content creator
- Digital media coordinator
- Online editor
Companies that may offer internships in the area of media:
Media Internships: Requirements
Each company will have their own set of requirements for candidates, these may also depend on the field you are entering.
There is though many similar requirements, they may include the following:
- Candidates must be a South African citizen
- Candidates must have a valid ID document
- Candidates must have successfully completed their Matric, as well as a degree within their field
- Candidates must have a solid understanding of all media forms
- Candidates must be computer literate – MS Office and other programs
- Candidates must have experience in research and writing
- Candidates should be familiar with digital photography
- Candidates must not already have completed an internship with another company
- Candidates must be proficient in English (Speak, Write & Read)
Candidates with the following attributes will be preferred;
- Candidates must have strong people skills
- Candidates must work well independently, as well as part of a team
- Candidates must be comfortable to work on all levels of an organization
- Candidates must have great planning skills and be able to meet deadlines
- Candidates must be passionate about social issues, and their career path
- Candidates must be creative thinkers with an interest in international, as well as local events
- Candidates must be flexible, and willing to travel if required
- Candidates must show ability to organize proficiently
- Candidates must be eager to learn, energetic and an extrovert
- Candidates must be able to use own initiative
Candidates with disabilities are urged to apply. Some companies do prefer people with a driver’s license. There is no guarantee of lasting employment after conclusion of the internship, this will be done at the company’s own discretion. Candidates may be asked to do required tests for their field of employment. Candidates who are familiar with electronic and print media environments will have a preference by many companies.
Media Internships Application
Media online application processes may be made available anytime during the year, by a variety of companies. Candidates can gather more information regarding each company’s process, on their web pages or call their offices to find out.
It is also vastly suggested that candidates add a cover letter, along with a Curriculum Vitae to their applications. Candidates are reminded to confirm that applications are completed in full, and all obligatory documentation enclosed before sending in their applications. All documentation must be certified copies, please do not attach your originals.
Media Internships Closing Dates
Closing dates will differ from company to company, depending on their needs within this field. Please remember to sign the application, include copies of all required documentation as stipulated in the application, and fill in the application completely. Some companies may offer a monthly stipend or salary, but most do not offer candidates housing, meals or transport. No late entries will be considered, so ensure you know what the closing date is, and have your application in on time.
We wish all candidates only the very best, may your dream realize and your expectation be met.