Wits Health Consortium is inviting all unemployed graduates to apply for their ongoing Data Analyst Internship Programme 2022.
The Department of Molecular medicine and Haematology (Wits University, School of Pathology), a syndicate of the Wits Health Consortium, is seeking a student Data Analyst to join the Research and Development (R&D) team.
This position involves managing the analysis and delivery of information to stakeholders, as well as applying research questions to national data for COVID-19, TB and HIV disease control.
Reference No: Internship_01
- Assist in organizing, conceptualizing and conducting large, advanced spatial analyses as part of a data team.
- Develop database schemas and analytical methods needed to support project goals.
- Review existing or incoming data for accuracy, usefulness, quality, or completeness of documentation.
- Assist in the update and circulation of national and laboratory briefs for COVID-19.
- Communicate and collaborate with team members and individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, both technical and non-technical.
- Work with team members to identify information needs and develop/enhance/modify reporting structures.
- Write and present scientific reports and manuscripts for submission to scientific journals and abstract driven conferences.
- Perform literature searches in order to supplement specialist knowledge.
- Maintain or modify existing data and spatial databases.
- Analyse and report on patterns and trends through data and spatial mapping of data.
Required minimum education and training BSc (Hons.) in:
- Data Science,
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS),
- Computer Science
- or a related field.
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Preference will be given to students who are currently completing a MSc Degree
- Intermediate knowledge of programming languages (e.g., Python, R) and relational database management system software (e.g., SQL)
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and statistical software programmes (e.g., STATA, SAS, SPSS)
- Understanding of the design of database architectures, data warehouses, data migrations, visual design/ dashboards
- Knowledge of data quality management practices and data security and privacy
- GIS software knowledge and experience including Esri GIS core products (e.g., ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online) and an understanding of geospatial (GIS) reporting
- Research interest in priority diseases
- Knowledge or interest in epidemiology practices
- Advanced communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to translate technical information to non-scientific team members
- Self-motivated and ability to work under pressure
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize tasks within multiple ongoing projects
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
Internship Application Closing Date: 15 December 2021
Internship Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng
How To Apply For Wits Health Consortium Data Analyst Internships Programme
Please include the following documents:
- A cover letter (maximum one page) that clearly states which vacancy you are applying for
- A detailed CV
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .The subject heading of the email must read “Internship_01 – Internship (Data Analyst)” .